Main Ingredients :- Pumpkin, Jaggery and Curd.
Recipe Servings :- 4 to 6
Preparation Time :- 10 minutes
Cook Time :- 20-25 minutes
Total Time :- 25-30 minutes
Course :- Main Course/Curry
Cuisine :- Indian/Rajasthani
Category :- Vegetarian
Nutrition :- 131kcal , •Carbs: 18g , •Fat: 7.8g • Protein: 3g Per serving (a small bowl)
Cooking Level :- Medium
About Sweet And Sour Pumpkin | Khatta Meetha Kaddu
Sweet And Sour Pumpkin,
This is a very simple and tasty dish.
It is made and eaten a lot in Rajasthan.
Basically it is a fruit. But it can also be used for vegetable.
It can also be used in many more dishes. Such as sweets, side dishes, etc.
In UP there is a very famous sweets called Agra Ka Petha (Pumpkin Sweets) which is made from pumpkin and is very tasty. More sweets can also be prepared, such as pumpkin pudding (Kaddu Ka Halwa).
And a side dish can also be prepared with pumpkin Raita.
And it can also be made in fasting.
Pumpkin is also known as Petha or Kasiphal.
So, today I am going to share my sour sweet kaddu recipe.
In this recipe I use curd and jaggery, it tastes good and in this recipe I will also use some spices.
White pumpkin (raw) is used to make both sweets and vegetables.
In this recipe, you can use white pumpkin if you want. But I am going to make it with yellow pumpkin.
Although , many people also make it by mashing it. But personally I do not like mashed pumpkin at all and it does not look so savory. If you make it grated, it looks good and it doesn’t look messy.
It can be served with chapatis. But it tastes better by eating with puris and parathas.
Make it once and enjoy with your family or friends.
So, let’s go to the recipe.
▪ Pumpkin :- 625gm
▪ Curd/Yogurt :- 1/2 cup
▪ Mustard Oil :- 3 tbsp
▪ Fenugreek Seeds :- 1/2 tbsp
▪ Black Cardamom :- 2
▪ Bay Leaves :- 2
▪ Black Pepper :- 7-8
▪ Cinnamon Sticks :- 2 piece (1/2 inch)
▪ Asafoetida :- 1 pinch
▪ Dry Red Chillies :- 3 (whole)
▪ Green Chillies :- 5 (Roughly Grind)
▪ Garlic :- 12 (Roughly Grind)
▪ Red Chilli Powder :- 2 tbsp
▪ Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder :- 1/2 tbsp
▪ Turmeric Powder :- 1/2 tbsp
▪ Coriander Powder :- 3 tbsp
▪ Cumin Powder :- 1 tbsp (roasted)
▪ Fennel Powder :- 1 tbsp (roasted)
▪ Jaggery :- 2 tbsp
▪ Garam Masala :- 1 tbsp
▪ Salt To Taste
How To Make Sweet And Sour Pumpkin | Khatta Meetha Kaddu
● First, wash and peel the skin of the pumpkin thoroughly.
● Then, grate the pumpkin.
● Take a bowl and add 4-5 glasses of water and then add salt to it. And boil it. Now add grated pumpkin and boil it till it is 70% cooked.
● When the pumpkin is cooked to 70%, filter it with the help of a sieve and remove the extra water.
● Now heat oil in a kadai or pan, then add Asafoetida, Fenugreek seeds, whole spices (black cardamom, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, dry whole red chilli, cloves, black pepper) and fry for a few seconds.
● Now, add Roughly grind green chilli and garlic to it. And Fry for 2-3 minutes until light brown.
● Then add curd, spices (red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, Kashmiri red chilli Powder, garam Masala Powder) and stir it.
●Now add Jaggery , Fennel powder, Cumin powder and mix. Cover it and cook for 2 minutes.
● After two minutes, add salt and boiled grated pumpkin and then mix well and cover the lid and cook for at least 5-7 minutes at low flame.
● Sweet and sour pumpkin is ready.
● Serve with Puris or Parathas and enjoy !!
Notes :- 1. Tamarind or dried mango powder can be used instead of yogurt.
2. Sugar can be used in place of jaggery.
3. You can also replace fenugreek seeds (methi dana) with kasuri methi.